Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rubber Ducky, you're the one!

Last year, I caught word that my cousin was having a baby! Of all people in my family, I never expected him to become a father, but life throws us surprises. What really shocked me though, happened six months later when his brother exclaimed that his fiancé is pregnant. He and I are practically the same age and I felt astounded at the fact of whoa...we are at that age of making babies and starting families! They live a couple states away and I visited them this past Thanksgiving with my parents. For the first time, I met my new baby cousins and fell in love with those little stinky diaper bundles of life.

Haley is the oldest and was already walking, with assistance from the baby walker-mobile, of course, but little Michael could only wiggle his fragile limbs and blink. He doesn't cry much, so I instantly liked him and teased my cousin that his next kid will be a screamer. He prays otherwise.
The grandma of those babies, my aunt, loves to shop, and if you took note of the time of year it happened to be--well, lets just say, my black Friday consisted of wayyyy more shopping than I ever want to endure again. Seriously, toys spoil kids today! I couldn't stop myself from playing with some of the colorful gadgets, along with my dad. Case and point (or is it point and case, I can never remember), check out the ToysRus website for 12-24 month old youngins. Specifically look at the Chatterbox Teaching Telephone because that toy looks pretty spiffy. Back to my original purpose, I spent much of my time during this shopping adventure talking to Michael's mother, (aka my cousin's fiancé), and learned first of all, that she fits in with our family, and second, that she loves duckies as much as I do. Yes, I say duckies and not ducks! Furthermore, she spastically ranted about how many ducky toys, decorations, and accessories she buys little Michael, and it sparked an idea for me...

I decided to run to Joann Fabrics as soon as possible when I drove back home. Thanksgiving time meant that winter break was soon to start, which provides me with plenty of time to start not just a ducky quilt for Michael, but a teddy bear one for Haley as well!

Here are the fabrics I chose for the two quilts:
I obviously made a few cuts before thinking about taking pictures...oops!

The ducky quilt, that I believe I'll name "Duckies in the Rain," is made from a pattern called "Broken Wheel." I recommend this quilt pattern to any quilter, novice or expert, because I enjoyed sewing the pieces together, and it turned into a fun and eye attracting quilt. Although, that could also have something to do with the bright colors. Despite its simplistic look, Lyn Brown states in her blog that this pattern "has some point matching challenges. When squaring up those corners, square in the square blocks, be sure you don’t lose your seam allowances beyond the points," and I would have to agree. Take a look at on of my finished blocks before I explain:
Notice the blue diamonds. Those corners have to match perfectly with the corners of the orange rectangles. Otherwise, the final product will fail to look crisp and neat. Moreover, while piecing two final ducky blocks together, I needed to pin the orange rectangle seams together in order for the pieces to line up perfectly. That way, the orange rectangles become squares and the yellow triangles connected to the blue diamonds also became diamonds.
I decided to add two borders, a yellow inside, and a thick, blue outside border to complete the top, and I believe it turned out freaking adorable!



After how pleased I was with the way this quilt turned out, I couldn't just sew any old patch on the back to write his name on. My solution--design my own. Drawing a ducky on the yellow material was a breeze, but the stitching part still forces questionable thoughts into my mind about whether or not I should cut out a bear for Haley's quilt. Only the curves caused me problems because the material didn't want to fold under properly. Nevertheless, if Michaels gets his duck, Haley shall see a bear on the back of her quilt.
The teddy bear quilt needs a little more work before I finish, but I will leave you with a teaser until my next blog:

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is an awesome quilt! I can’t believe you made that. Well actually I can, it is just a little hard to accept that I am unable to do anything remotely close to this piece of work. My mother makes quilts and I know that they take a lot of patience and hard work. I can remember growing up, she would make quilts for my teachers. I have to admit, I was rather embarrassed back then, but now that I think about, I realize how cool it actually is.
    And I agree about the ToysRus items. I know when I was shopping for my nephew I probably had more fun than him messing with all the gadgets. Toddlers can care less about toys honestly. They would much rather play with remote controls and gift wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, my daughter is an only child of an only child, and my parents were way beyond ready for their first grandchild. Ergo, my living room looks like the entire Toys R Us catalog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very talented! I loved the quilt! It was so interesting to see the process you use when making it. My dad is getting married in October and I've been trying to think of something to get them for a wedding gift but I've come up short considering they're the type of people who have EVERYTHING! However, your blog has given me a great idea! It's personal, loving, and thoughtful and I happen to be craftily inclined! Have you even made tie-blankets? They are fun and easy to make. You buy X amount of fleece fabric (they don't have to be the same print, one is going to be the front and one is going to be the back). Then you place them one on top of the other and smooth them out. There will be extra fabric around the edges so you want to trim that so it is even. Then you place a sqaure (purchase at Joannes) in each corner and cut it out. Then you cut approximately 1 inch wide, 2.5-3 inch long strips along the sides. Then you pin the two fabrics together so they don't move while you tie it. Double knot the slices of fabric, unpin, and wa-la you have a cozy blanket!

    ReplyDelete